Friday, January 16, 2009

So I got this phone call...

It's amazing how as soon as I start up a blog, things just hit me, and happen to me, that I think I should write about. I don't wanna be one of those guys who writes everyday, but this struck me in a way...

So I'm DJin at CFR last night, and I get a phone call. This happens sometimes, usually about 2 or 3 times a night. I always get one from Ben, cuz he's bored, and he wants to hear Christmas Shoes. Then I usually get one other song request from somebody, and that's about it. But last night, I got this call in the nine o' clock hour, and the man was desperate to reach our prayer line. So I told him that he could tell me his prayer request, and I could put it in the prayer journal.

He went on to explain how he thinks his life has gone wrong, all the terrible things that are happening in his life right now, and how he thinks that the world, particularly the Christian community, has turned its back on him. He then said that if he doesn't get help from the Christian community by the end of the month, he'll leave the faith and join a cult. What do I say to that? I went on to say that we would be praying for him, and hoping for provision. But this phone call got me thinking on a couple of tangents...

1. I just don't get the ultimatum prayer. That's basically what this was. He simply said, "If I don't get this, I'm out." What a pathetic way to look at it. But I realize I've done it in the past myself, maybe not to the degree of forsaking all I believe in, but I have done the "Do this, or I'll do that." prayer. And now I just don't get it. How did we (or at least I) get so arrogant that we tell God how it's gonna go. How much do I know compared to Him? Nothing. And yet to this day I continue to tell God how it's gonna go. To allude to a previous post, I try to "help God out." Stupid.

2. Could I have done more for this guy? James 2:15-16 says "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes or daily food. If one of you should say, 'Go, I wish you well. Keep warm and well fed. But does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" Isn't that verbatum what I just did?

3. How have we created a world where in a country of great opportunity, we have people who are willing to sell their soul, not for the whole world, but just for a roof over his own head? We may have some willing to do so for great power or wealth, but we have far more in this country who are willing to give it all up for little to nothing at all. It makes me sad that this man, and others, are willing to give up eternity for the here and now...

I guess that's all

2 comments:

  1. Dude you blog!!! That's awesome. Check my latest one out. You will get a kick out of it, after all, you are mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe - I'm glad to see you blog!! I enjoyed reading it. I feel the same way sometimes: frustrated with someone's lack of faith, then upset with myself for being the same way. :) I'll keep up with you on this!

    ReplyDelete