Monday, February 23, 2009

So I've been looking for advice...

I am terrible at consistency when it comes to studying, but when I had a little meltdown back in '08, freaking out about my future and stuff, one of my pastors at Hillvue, pastor Jeff Reynolds, hooked me up with a DVD study by Andy Stanley, called "Discovering God's Will." I did the first one almost right away, because the topic excited me.




I just did the second one today. And again, I learn something new. Funny how that works, you study God's word, and you learn something new. Anywhos...

Today's study dealt with how we look at God when we turn to Him. See, most of us want to know what God wants to do with us before we sign on. We want all the details first. That's just how we are, it's how we've been taught with everything else. We don't take a job without asking certain questions, we have to have details. But God don't work like that a lot, we gotta show our faith by signing on to His plan, even if we don't know what's going on.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

See, we gotta say, "God, my answer is yes, now where should I go?" Because too many times, we just take God's plan and take it like advice from a friend, consider an option, then make the decision yourself. Lean on our own understanding. God doesn't give his plan for consideration...He shows us His will expecting OBEDIENCE. That's been my problem. Ultimately, I've believed the decision has come down to me, and what I want to do. It's time to realize that I'm broken, my way sucks, and His way is awesome. It's time to stop taking advice from God, and take direction from Him.

I'm sure I'll talk more about this study, it's worth looking into. Hopefully it won't be over a month before I open it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment